Flying Time

Last year our daughter was born. Six months later she turned five. Three months after that, ten. Two weeks ago, thirteen.

And today, Sweet 16.

Don't tell me that it was sixteen years ago today, at 3:57 P.M., that our precious girl was born, some two months early, weighing in at a paltry 2 lbs., 14 oz. You'll never convince me that it's been that long.

It's cliche, but where has the time gone?

It's not just with this.

The Tigers, I realized a short while ago, won their 1984 World Series 25 years ago.

WHAT?!

We watched the terrific movie Tootsie the other day, on DVD. I remember that film coming out like it was yesterday.

The DVD cover was on the coffee table. On it were the words, "25th Anniversary Edition."

WHAT?!

I'm a date guy. I tend to remember when things happened, both month and year. This is true for events in history, and events that affect us personally at home.

Lately I've been extrapolating those dates backward, constantly amazed at how much time has elapsed since they've occurred.

It'll be 35 years ago, this August, since President Nixon resigned. Twenty-eight years ago last month that John Hinckley tried to kill President Reagan.

Heck, it's been 17 years since Johnny Carson signed off and Jay Leno took over.

WHAT?!

But back to our daughter, who was in kindergarten last September, by the way, and who is now finishing up ninth grade. (We started her in kindergarten at age six due to her prematurity).

My wife had toxemia pre-eclampsia, and was relegated to bed rest for much of her pregnancy past month four. Our child was due in early June.

On Good Friday, 1993, we went in for what was supposed to be a routine follow-up checkup.

Two hours later, my wife was being admitted into Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak.

Five days after that, our daughter was born, in emergency fashion.

I was there, of course, and when I saw the less-than-three pound human being after they withdrew it and cleaned it off, my first words were, "Is she going to be alright??"

She could have fit into a shoebox. With the shoes still inside.

You could have fit me for a straitjacket.

For two months we visited her in the hospital, often twice daily, as the fine NICU nurses at Beaumont took care of her. Slowly she gained some weight. She was all of four pounds and some change when we took her home in June.

That was last June, I believe.

No? Sixteen years ago this June?

WHAT?!

I have three years to get my act together before she's ready for college. With her As and Bs, it'll be a doozy of a tuition bill.

Three years.

Which, I figure, will be two weeks from Wednesday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life, Interrupted

Del--icious?

Murder in the Backyard