Kelly Girl

Kelly McGillis is a lesbian.

Says she's "done with the man thing." Her words.

McGillis, the actress whose visage leaped from the screen in the movie Top Gun, as Tom Cruise's squeeze, and who later showed her acting chops in an underrated film called Witness, starring Harrison Ford, has confirmed rumors that she prefers those of her own gender when it comes to physical intimacy.

Let's get something straight, right off the bat. I couldn't care less who's gay or lesbian or straight or bi or whatever else ya got. Lord knows they may have been inventing things since I've been on the dating scene.

A person's sexual preference doesn't define him or her, in my eyes.

McGillis told the media that she started to wonder about herself around age twelve. Something about her wasn't like other girls, apparently.

Yet she grew up, pursued an acting career, and even got married and gave birth to a couple of children.

Not sure how, when, or why the lesbian rumors got started, but they were out there, I guess. So much so that she came forward -- but not to refute them.

To confirm them.

But what strikes me about McGillis's outing is her statement, "I'm done with the 'man thing.'"

I'm sure there are plenty of straight women who'd like to scream those words to the heavens, as well.

It strikes me because I thought being gay or lesbian was about something inside you, probably from birth or not long after. Not because you're fed up with the opposite sex.

Like I say, I'm all for gay rights, but that seems a little drastic.

"I'm sick of men. Gonna give women a try. In the sack, and elsewhere."

Wow. OK.

It's long been my assertion that Hollywood is filled with far more gays and lesbians than homophobes would care to believe. And I bet that the roster of those who've not been outed or who haven't outed themselves would make your head spin.

My hunch.


McGillis in the Top Gun days (1986)....


...and more recently


Not that I care. When I enjoy a film, I'm not thinking about which way Mr. Actor or Ms. Actress "swings". Same with sports, when it comes to salaries. I care much more about a guy's batting average with men in scoring position in a close ballgame than I do how much dough he's pulling down.

To do otherwise would rob me of the joy of those two pastimes.

I think Ellen Degeneres is flat out funny as hell. And she's no more funnier after having "come out." Just like she wasn't less funny pre-outing. Do you feel me?

She's funny because she's funny. Gay or straight.

I think after the news of Rock Hudson's tragic battle with AIDS, that's when we began becoming less shocked by the outing of celebrities. I know it's stereotypical, but Hudson had such a virile image that it flew in the face of what we believed to be what gay men "looked like".

Gay men were supposed to look and act like Truman Capote. Or Richard Simmons. Not Rock Hudson.

But that was about 25 years ago, Hudson's losing battle with AIDS. We've seen many an outing since.

Last week, actress Bea Arthur died. For years I thought Arthur was a lesbian, and apparently I wasn't the only one.

But in reading more about her, turns out that Bea was as straight as a one-dollar bill. In fact, the "myth" that she was gay is on her official website, listed as distinctly untrue.

The Rock Hudson Effect, only in reverse.

Kelly McGillis is swearing off men. In the most definitive of ways.

Whatever floats your boat. Go for it.

The homophobes can just blame Tom Cruise. Must be his fault, right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life, Interrupted

Del--icious?

Murder in the Backyard