Seeing Red

I used to have a crush on Lynn Redgrave.

I've always had a thing for redheads, though I'm married to a gorgeous Italian woman with dark hair.

In the 1980s and '90s, I was the only member of my own little Lynn Redgrave Fan Club. I found the actress's British accent and her red hair and her class to be very attractive.

She wasn't a classic beauty by any stretch, and there may be others of the male persuasion who'd argue vehemently that Redgrave wasn't even good looking, period.

But I always thought she was.

I remember in the early-1990s she was appearing at a local celebrity golf outing and the TV station I was working for sent a camera crew there to get some show IDs from as many celebs as they could.

You know---"When I'm in Detroit I watch 'The Sports Guys' with Greg Eno."

Stuff like that.

They got ice skater/analyst Scott Hamilton and a couple others to pump our local shows, including my sports gab fest.

When the crew came back, someone mentioned that Lynn Redgrave was there.

WHAT????!!

I filleted them for not getting Redgrave to do a Greg Eno show ID.

Bob Zahari, one of my colleagues, looked at me cross-eyed.

"Lynn....REDGRAVE?"

He made a funny face.

I shrugged.

"What can I say? I like to look at her"




Redgrave, 67, passed away yesterday after a seven-year battle with breast cancer.

She, of course, comes from a long lineage of actors. And it was just last year when Lynn's niece, Natasha Richardson, died after a tragic skiing mishap.

Lynn Redgrave was a two-time Oscar nominee: for Best Actress in 1966's "Georgy Girl," and for Best Supporting Actress in 1998's "Gods and Monsters."

She was a remarkable actor, one of the more underrated of her time. Says me.

After her breast cancer diagnosis, she went on the stump, urging women to have regular mammograms whenever possible.

She had a delightful take on life.

"God," she once said, "always has another custard pie up his sleeve."

Rest in peace, Red.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life, Interrupted

Del--icious?

Murder in the Backyard