Limit One Per Me

I never met a beer I didn't like after work.

It's probably all in my head, I'm sure, but I don't think malts and hops taste any better than they do at home, moments after coming through the door after another eight hours spent in the minefield.

I don't drink much. Let's get that straight. I sowed my alcohol seeds in college, and a few years after that. Since then, I've been reduced to taking a week to consume what I used to in one evening.

I come home, have my Miller High Life, and that's it. But oh, does it taste good.

Just one bottle does it. After that, I'm ready for a soft drink. Sometimes a nap.

The late great sports columnist Jim Murray once wrote that legendary college basketball coach John Wooden was so square, he was divisible by four.

That's me anymore when it comes to that "p" word---partying.

Time was we'd hit happy hour after classes at Eastern Michigan University, meander to another watering hole, then only stop for a dinner break. Then it was off to the night life, after dark.

The question would come aroun 10:30, 11:00 p.m.: "OK, where are we REALLY going tonight?"

I remember going to happy hour at Theo's on Cross Street, knocking them down for several hours, retiring to my apartment for a three-hour nap after dinner (what? doesn't everyone?), then waking up and commencing the "real" partying, circa 11:30 p.m.

Ahh, to be young again.



Just one please (and only after work)


We used to frequent the old Ethnic Festivals (remember those?) in Hart Plaza, downtown. It was a great place to hang out, choke down some bad wine like MD 20/20, and people watch. Then maybe it was off to Windsor, where we could do the whole thing legally because the drinking age was 19.

Now, I'm content to twist open a Miller, enjoy its coldness and smoothness, and about two-thirds through it I'm ready to switch to Pepsi.

It's not that I dislike beer these days. I just don't care to drink all that much of it.

I'll occasionally drink a beer on a weekend afternoon, or very late at night. But those don't taste half as good as the one I slug down at around 6:00 p.m. during the week.

I wonder why that is.

I'm conditioned now. Some people get grumpy before their first cup of coffee. I get antsy if I don't have my Miller in hand by 6:15.

But just one. It's the opposite of potato chips that way.

I don't drink responsibly, I drink pathetically.

But I had my time. I think most of us did.

Comments

  1. I admire your self-discipline. I've found the second one to be my favorite, and after that they all blend together.

    Have you tried the "new-old" Schlitz yet? Great ice-cold in the Tall Boy can.

    Have a great weekend!
    SB

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

As you will...

Popular posts from this blog

Life, Interrupted

Del--icious?

Murder in the Backyard