Drink Responsibly? HA!

I enjoy a cold beer at the end of the day. In the evening, maybe a martini, or a scotch on the rocks.

That's the extent of my drinking, really.

A far cry from the fuzzy days of my college years, when we'd drink during happy hour, go home and take a nap, and then wake up at 10:00 at night, wondering what we were REALLY going to be doing that night.

I outgrew the alcohol thing by the time I was in my late-20s. That was 20 years ago.

Yet there are still those well into their 30s, or even my age, who still find the whole drink-till-you-drop thing, fun.

I guess I just don't get it.

Even when I was at my drinking best, circa 1982-88, I recognized how awful it could make me feel, whether that same night or the next day. I remember getting hammered at a bachelor party into the wee hours, then having to report to work the next morning to direct TV coverage of a parade.

Ugh.

So now, one beer, one drink, that's it. It's not about the buzz, it's about the flavor. The refreshing aspect of an ice cold beer, the calming warmth of a cocktail or splash of scotch over ice.

That's all I need.

I listen to 97.1 The Ticket quite often---the sports talk station. But they also deviate into non -sports talk, too---but definitely "man talk."

On occasion, one of the hosts there (I won't divulge his name) will talk about drinking and partying. And I know he's in his mid-30s.

Outside of that, I enjoy listening to him and his show. But when he talks about getting "wasted" and so drunk that a hangover is imminent, I am baffled.

I'm like, "Dude, grow UP!"

Besides, it sounds like drinking and driving are part of the "festivities."

I just don't get it.



I got all that stuff out of my system by the time I was 25 years old.

It saddens me that men in their mid-30s and beyond still find all that partying enjoyable.

Eight years ago, my family and I were on a boat ride, with many of my co-workers. It was an evening thing, very enjoyable.

Except that one of the sales people got so drunk, she was baring herself and acting like a lap dancer. And she was someone who had once run for local political office.

Her antics were so embarrassing---and our 10-year-old daughter was in attendance, along with other children---that I truly felt for her.

When I saw her a couple days later at work, I felt even worse for her. But she made her own bed.

I'm not anti-alcohol. I'm not a prude.

But I AM anti-immaturity. And gross irresponsibility.

It's not funny to see someone schnockered in public.

It's sad, and disturbing.

I'm fine with my one beer at the end of the day.

Plus, it doesn't make me feel like crap later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life, Interrupted

Del--icious?

Murder in the Backyard