Li-Lo, the Homebody?

Only time will tell if Lindsay Lohan will continue down the road of the straight and narrow.

That's how it works with the addict, the abuser, the dependent. There's no other way to evaluate the progress than to sit back and wait.

Lohan, maybe the oldest 25-year-old in Hollywood history, went on the "Today" show and told host Matt Lauer that she's clean and sober and a "homebody."

The fast life and the drugs and alcohol don't appeal to her anymore, she told Lauer.

The interview will air Thursday morning, but MSNBC previewed it via Today.com.

"That's not my thing anymore," Lohan said. "I went out, actually, a few months ago with a friend. And I was so uncomfortable. Not because I felt tempted, just because it was just the same thing that it always was before. And it just wasn't fun for me. I've become more of a homebody. And I like that."

Lohan is 25 and who knows what else she can do right now to make money, other than to act.

She's hosting "Saturday Night Live" this weekend and certainly her motivation to go on "Today" is that it's a great vehicle on which to tell not only fans, but---and more importantly, frankly---TV and movie producers that she's fit to hire.

Lohan's interview with Lauer is just that---an interview, as in for a job.

With platinum blonde hair, Lohan looks good in a black dress as she explains to Lauer that, after being in denial, she's ready to start proving herself all over again.

Lauer asked her point blank: How can those with the power to hire, trust you again?

"I think that that's gonna take -- I think that takes time," Lohan said. "And I think that it's actions. Because people can say things all they want, but I think I still need to go through the process of proving myself, you know, with 'SNL,' being on time, being, you know, keeping my -- can't say the word -- but stuff together."


Lindsay Lohan, the blonde and clean and sober version


It's all very mature, lucid stuff coming from someone who's been anything but for the better part of the past seven years, at least.

The proving ground starts with Lohan's next role. And it's an ironic one: Elizabeth Taylor.

It's like what Marilyn Monroe once said of co-star Monty Clift, when they were filming "The Misfits" in 1960.

"(Clift)'s the only person I know who's more screwed up than me," Monroe said.

The notion of Lohan playing Taylor, who was an off-screen drama queen in her own right, is delectable. Yet that's where Lohan's road to professional recovery is about to begin, after her turn on "SNL" this Saturday.

Lohan knows that one clean job doesn't a comeback make, no matter how much she shines in the Taylor project.

"I don't want people to have that reason to be scared anymore," she tells Lauer. "So being able to have this opportunity with 'SNL' and the film, I'm gonna do what I'm supposed to do, and enjoy doing it, and do it as best as I can."

Lohan isn't out of the woods yet. The fact that she acknowledges that is a step in the right direction, albeit a baby one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life, Interrupted

Del--icious?

Murder in the Backyard