Life Outside the Bun

I admit it. I love Taco Bell.

There are so many reasons.

I have mocked it before, but I have been secretly in admiration of how the fast food entrant can make so much with such few ingredients.

Give the folks at Taco Bell a tortilla, some sort of meat, refried beans, rice and cheese, and stand back.

And they do it all without breaking the bank.

I can walk into a Taco Bell, order food for our family of four and still get a few bucks' worth of change from a $20 bill. Try that at McDonald's, Burger King or Wendy's.

I like a good old-fashioned taco for 99 cents. A bean burrito (with extra onions) for $1.49. In fact, I'm hard-pressed to find anything on the menu for more than four bucks.

And the quality? It's not a matter of "you get what you pay for." For the price, I think the food is pretty damned good.

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. I don 't pretend that Taco Bell is Mexican "cuisine." But I also don't experience that "I paid $3.99 for THIS?" feeling, either.



And you don't have to travel very far to find a Taco Bell, either. They are almost as ubiquitous as McDonald's.

This isn't a paid advertisement, even if it reads like one. I'm not getting a dime from the Taco Bell folks. Not that I couldn't use it.

But it occurred to me that we eat Taco Bell almost weekly. There's something devilish about walking out with sacks full of food for well under $20.

I have tried Del Taco, which is also near our house. And while I appreciate the delicious, pungent cilantro that is highly present in some of their items, it isn't Taco Bell---which I know is exactly why some people prefer Del Taco.

Bottom line: Taco Bell isn't for everyone. But it's cheap, it's filling, and it does great in a pinch.

Plus, I love chihuahuas.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life, Interrupted

Murder in the Backyard

A Hodak Moment